PDF of score
PDF of score. 18 pages (incl. cover and front matter). 8.5×11 in.
Fixed media file is available for download here. It is also linked in the PDF.
Recording: Amy O’Dell, piano
Tidal, for piano and fixed media, is based upon the natural harmonic series beginning on a low C (32.7 Hz). Inspired by Schenkerian analysis, I created a set of triads out of this series and ordered them based on the difference tones they create. Thus, the subtle, background tones form a large scale tonal progression, while the surface chords are sometimes seemingly unrelated. The tape part constantly moves between just intonation and equal temperament while the piano plays figurations that allude to classical sonatas. The overall form and the surface gestures expand and contract, like tidal motion and surface waves.
- Brent Milam, Terminus Ensemble, Atlanta, GA 11-18-18
- ASN, Faculty Recital, East Carolina University 9/23/16
- Kathryn Fouse, Samford University (AL), 4/7/15
- Kari Johnson, Kansas State University, 3/31/15
- ASN, Manchester New Music Festival, North Manchester, IN 3/28/15
- ASN, neoPhonia, Atlanta, GA 3/24/15
- Kari Johnson, Western Michigan University, 3/23/15
- Kari Johnson, Fairmont State University (WV), 2/14/15
- Tim Whitehead, Sonic Generator, Atlanta, 2/4/15
- Kari Johnson, University of Central Missouri, 1/15/15
- ASN, Charlotte New Music Festival, 6/21/14
- Kari Johnson, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 2/9/14
- Kari Johnson, Kansas City Electronic Music & Arts Alliance, Kansas City, MO 12/14/13
- ASN, Doctoral Recital, University of Florida 11/25/13
- Kari Johnson, Electronic Music Midwest, Kansas City, KS 10/25/13
- Keith Kirchoff, Society for Electroacoustic Music in the US (SEAMUS) 2013 Conference 4/19/13
- ASN, Society of Composers, Inc. National Conference, February 2013
- ASN, University of Florida Fine Arts Juried Exhibition, 2/8/13ASN, Society of Composers at UF Concert, 4/10/12